Last week, I had my first HelloFresh experience… and I absolutely loved it! Therefore, I wanted to do a HelloFresh subscription box review! HelloFresh is a weekly meal delivery subscription service that sends healthy recipes with the pre-measured ingredients & complete instructions that you need in order to make an amazing home cooked meal!
How does it work? Easy! You go to the HelloFresh website, pick the number of meals & servings you need for the week, choose from the recipes that are offered, choose your delivery date, and voila! The ingredients are sent directly to your doorstep, packed carefully in ice packs (that stayed cold outside on my porch all week!). What’s great about HelloFresh is that if you don’t need meals for that week, for whatever reasons, you can freeze your order until you are ready again!
Not only did I enjoy the variety of foods from HelloFresh, but I also looked forward to cooking them every night after work! The ingredients were organized into little ‘recipe boxes’ so there was no hassle trying to figure out which stuff belonged to which recipe. They were also super fresh and had a ton of flavor. I did not have any problems with my ingredients spoiling. The company does put a ‘make me first’ sticker on the ingredient that needs to be used fastest. I found this very helpful in planning things out for the week. I didn’t make the last meal until Saturday and everything was still perfectly fresh!
As far as pricing, depending on the meal plan you choose (veggie vs. classic), this service is a little more than what I would spend on groceries if I was shopping for myself, but less than going out to eat at a restaurant. I truly believe the variety, quality, and freshness of the ingredients make up for this.
The only problem that I ran into was the portion sizes. While most of the meals left me feeling perfectly full, my boyfriend still felt a little hungry after finishing eating. However, the portions are balanced nutritionally, so while they might seem small, they are a healthy serving size per person.
My HelloFresh Meals
#1: Brioche Shrimp Rolls with Arugula Radish Salad
#2: Smoky Chicken Tacos with Charred Corn, Sautéd Veggies, and Salsa Fresca
#3: Rosemary Beef Skewers with Roasted Veggies & Ciabatta Garlic Bread
#4: Israeli Cous Cous
- Tastes Great – Every meal I made tasted delicious!
- Quality Ingredients – The food is packaged well, the meats are vacuum sealed, and everything stayed fresh until I needed it.
- Variety – A different night of the meal every week makes for a happy belly. If you are looking to expand your food options with dishes that you would normally only see on a menu while out to eat, HelloFresh gives you that opportunity.
- Stress Free – The ingredients are pre-packaged, the recipes are easy to follow, and your meals are planned for a week.. what more can you ask for?!
- Freeze Weeks – As I mentioned above, you have the ability to freeze weeks if you are busy/don’t need to cook that week
- The Cost – You could make the same meals yourself for cheaper if you actually took the time to gather the ingredients, so I guess this is a double-edged sword. The cost per meal is similar to what we would pay when going out to eat ($10-12 per person). While it’s affordable and the shipping is free, it’s still a little bit more than I would pay when I plan meals and purchase my own ingredients.
- Environmental Impact – While the packaging is great for keeping the ingredients fresh, there is a lot of things to throw away/recycle each time you get a delivery.
- Portion Sizing – I found the portion sizes to be okay for the most part, however, my boyfriend didn’t they were realistic.
Overall, I would 100% recommend trying HelloFresh, especially if you have a busy week coming up or if you want to try some new & delicious recipes! I know that not only will I be ordering from them again within the next few weeks, I will also use the recipes in the future 🙂
PS- Shout out to my friend Megan from HS who hooked me up with a free weekly trial!
(This is not a sponsored post. I have never been contacted by HelloFresh to review their products.)
Have you tried any subscription box service?
What did you think?
Related Posts: Questions Nobody Asks & Nature Box