For me, running solo usually leads to the best runs. Getting in the zone & releasing stress while pounding the pavement is one of the greatest feelings in the world. However, that doesn’t mean that you should ever let your guard down. Being aware of your surroundings and remaining alert is the #1 way to stay safe when running any time of the day, but especially alone.
I’ve heard it a million times before, mostly from my mother, ‘Never run alone, the world is a scary place. Always be alert. Change up your schedule and route all the time.’ My mom texted me yesterday reminding me again the importance of this, after news broke about a beautiful young girl who was found dead since she had been missing after going out for her daily run. It’s so scary to think that an attack could happen to anyone, at any time… which is why it is crucial to be proactive in your safety.
These tips can be directed towards any runner, but are especially important for females that are running alone.
Safety Tips For Solo Running
Before You Go:
- Tell someone when/for how long/where you are running -> At least one person will know if you’re taking a little bit too long to come back from a run, and if they are worried then they will know where to go looking.
- Change up your routine -> If you run solo or in isolated areas often, be careful not to get too “routine” by running at the same time & the same route every day. Change things up a bit and be aware of your surroundings. More often than not, the ‘bad guy’ has been observing an area and looking for patterns.
- Be prepared -> Take a self-defense class in case anything were to ever happen. Make it a ‘girls night out’ with your running buddies & have fun with it! I took a self-defense class last year and I’m really glad that I did. Not only did I enjoy myself but I learned a lot on how to protect myself and get out of risky situations. We all should know how to protect ourselves from an assault.
- Watch what you post -> Don’t post on social media before you’re about to go for a run. You never know who could be keeping tabs.
During Your Run:
- Be aware of your surroundings -> Always be observant and aware of your surroundings.
- Run with your music lower or one earbud in -> Or ditch them totally, if you can. Generally you are not as aware with headphones in. I know this is true for me. Being able to hear cars, bikes, and people approaching is important to be able to react in a situation.
- Run with pepper spray -> There’s a company that makes ‘running pepper gel’ with an adjustable strap that is perfect for runners. Invest in some!
- Always carry your phone -> If you don’t usually run with your phone then you may find this tip annoying, however, it’s so important to have your phone on you when running solo. You want to be able to call 911 in the event of an attack.
- Be careful running in the dark -> Avoid it if you can. If you can’t, here are some more tips to help you stay safe.
- Trust your intuition -> react on your gut feeling and avoid an area, person, or situation if you are feeling unsure. If your gut is telling you something isn’t right, chances are it isn’t.
Do you usually run alone?
If so, what’s your #1 tip to stay safe?
Related Post: Benefits of Yoga for Runners