My bestest friend recently sent me Chrissy Teigen’s cookbook, Cravings, after she got it and I incessantly talked about buying it for weeks. Shout out to my Nicolette Nest <3 I already read the book cover to cover & I’m looking forward to cooking my way through it because every.single.recipe looks seriously amazing!
The recipe that I’m sharing today is Chicken Lettuce Wraps. Sounds boring but it has big flavor! I was browsing the book for something (relatively healthy) that I could make as my lunch for this week when I decided on this recipe. I’m so glad I chose this one because it’s so good. So good that I’ve been looking forward to lunch everyday even more than usual. So good that every time I open my fridge, I end up eating a spoonful (or 3) of it. SO GOOD that I’m definitely making it again for lunch next week.
- 3 Tbsp. Thai sweet chili sauce
- 3 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 3 Tbsp. light soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Sriracha
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1½ Tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 lb. ground chicken (I accidentally bought chicken breasts so had to chop them up super tiny but it was still perfect- I may end up using them again next time)
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 8 scallions, thinly sliced, whites and greens kept separate
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- ½ pound white mushrooms, trimmed, cleaned, and finely chopped (I loathe mushrooms so I used celery instead -> shout out again to my Nico for the suggestion)
- ½ cup finely diced canned water chestnuts
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 heads butter lettuce, leaves separated
1- Make the sauce: In a bowl, combine the chili sauce, hoisin, soy sauce, Sriracha, vegetable oil, sesame oil, vinegar, garlic, and ginger
2- In a bowl, mix 2 Tbsp. of the sauce into the ground chicken.
3-In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. of the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. When shimmering-hot, add the chicken and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the meat to a plate and set aside.
4- Add the remaining 1 Tbsp. oil to the skillet, then add the scallion whites, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
5- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release their liquid, 3 to 4 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan, then add the water chestnuts, bell pepper, and the rest of the sauce and cook, stirring, until cooked through and the liquid has reduced and thickened slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the scallion greens.6-Transfer the mixture to a bowl and set out with the lettuce leaves.
7- ENJOY 🙂
The first recipe I made from her book was ‘Pepper’s Spicy Clams’ … it was so delicious! I posted a picture of it on one of my Instagram accounts (that I really don’t use, not sure why I decided to that day) and Chrissy & her mom, Pepper, liked it! I thought this was pretty cool!
I highly recommend to you invest in Cravings -> you won’t regret it!
PS -> I got the cutest recipe book from Kate Spade that I’m totally obsessed with! It has sections for Breakfast, Soups, Sauces, Appetizers, Entrees, Desserts, and Beverages. Each section has a cute little quote on the front of it, just like her agendas do for each new month.